The Kanjivaram Saree, also known as Kanchipuram saree, is a traditional saree that originated in the town of Kanchipuram in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is known for its exquisite weaving and vibrant colours and is considered to be one of the finest and most luxurious sarees in India. Here is a look at the heritage, history, and significance of the Kanjivaram Saree.
The Kanjivaram Saree has a rich heritage that dates back to the ancient period. It is said that the weaving of silk in Kanchipuram was introduced by Sage Markanda, who was considered to be the master weaver of the Gods. The art of weaving was passed down through generations, and today, the town of Kanchipuram is known as the "Silk City" of India.
The history of the Kanjivaram Silk Saree can be traced back to the reign of the Chola dynasty in the 4th century. The saree was initially woven for royalty and was made of pure mulberry silk. Over the centuries, the saree became popular among the wealthy and elite, and the weaving techniques were refined to create more intricate designs and patterns. The saree also gained significance as a symbol of Indian culture and tradition and is now worn on special occasions and festivals.
The Kanjivaram Silk Saree is known for its exquisite weaving and vibrant colors, and is considered to be a symbol of luxury, elegance, and tradition. The saree is made of pure mulberry silk and is adorned with intricate designs that depict motifs of flowers, leaves, and birds. The zari work, which is a type of handwoven work that uses metallic thread, adds to the beauty and grandeur of the saree.
The Kanjivaram Saree is worn on special occasions such as weddings, festivals, and religious ceremonies. It is considered to be a status symbol and is often passed down as a family heirloom. The saree also has religious significance, as it is worn by Hindu brides during their wedding ceremonies. The saree is said to symbolize purity, prosperity, and good fortune, and is an important part of the wedding rituals.
In recent years, the Kanjivaram Saree has gained global recognition and is now exported to countries around the world. The saree has also inspired modern designers to create new designs and patterns, while still retaining the traditional weaving techniques.
In conclusion, the Kanjivaram Silk Saree is a symbol of Indian culture, tradition, and craftsmanship. Its rich heritage and history have made it an integral part of Indian fashion and a coveted item among women across the country. The saree's significance as a symbol of luxury, elegance, and tradition, as well as its religious and cultural significance, make it a timeless piece of attire that continues to be cherished by generations of Indian women.
The Kanjivaram Saree is a traditional Indian garment that is known for its elegance, beauty, and intricate designs. While it is traditionally worn with Indian ethnic wear, there are ways to style the saree with western wear to create a unique and modern look. Here are some tips on how to style Kanjivaram Sarees with western wear:
- Belt it up :- One of the easiest ways to style a Kanjivaram Silk Saree with western wear is to add a belt to the outfit. This will help to cinch the saree at the waist and create a more structured and modern look. You can choose a simple black or brown leather belt or opt for a statement belt that features metallic details or bold prints.
- Add a jacket :- Another way to style a Kanjivaram Silk Saree with western wear is to add a jacket or blazer to the outfit. This will help to add a layer of warmth and style to the look, and will also make the saree look more modern and contemporary. You can choose a fitted blazer in a neutral colour such as black or navy, or opt for a printed jacket that features bold colours and patterns.
- Wear it as a skirt :- If you don't want to wear the Kanjivaram Silk Saree as a traditional saree, you can also wear it as a skirt. This can be done by tucking in the pallu (the loose end of the saree) and draping the rest of the saree around your waist. You can then pair the saree skirt with a simple blouse or shirt to create a modern and stylish look.
- Go for a fusion look :- Another way to style a Kanjivaram Silk Saree with western wear is to create a fusion look by mixing and matching different garments and styles. For example, you can pair the saree with a crop top, a denim jacket, or a leather skirt to create a unique and modern look. You can also experiment with different accessories such as statement jewellery or a bold clutch to add some extra flair to the outfit.
- Keep it simple :- Finally, if you want to create a more understated look, you can simply pair the Kanjivaram Silk Saree with a simple white shirt or blouse. This will help to showcase the beauty and intricacy of the saree, while also creating a modern and sophisticated look.
There are many ways to style Kanjivaram Sarees with western wear, and the key is to experiment with different styles and combinations to find the look that works best for you. Whether you opt for a bold statement piece or a simple and understated look, the Kanjivaram Saree is a versatile garment that can be worn in many different ways to create a modern and stylish look.
Discover the WeaverStory's eclectic collection of Kanjivaram Sarees from the quintessential city of Kanchipuram. Feel like royalty in these beautiful saris that shine like gold and tell stories from the past through their techniques and designs. It's no wonder that this silk queen has always been a favorite of the royalty and aristocrats.
Author - Aditi Bapna